Alternative medicine in Grand Rapids, integrative medicine in Grand Rapids, and naturopathic medicine in Grand Rapids have found a home at Integrative Wellness of Grand Rapids. We believe that you deserve to be in control of your health, and our clinicians are committed to providing you education and integrative services to help you achieve true health as well as the peace of mind that you are in the hands of the best integrative team in Grand Rapids.
You’re In The Right Place: Conditions we help manage
If you are looking for integrative support that emphasizes getting to the root-cause of your symptoms, you are in the right place. Here are some conditions that our team of skilled clinicians are experienced in supporting:
I miss him as my cardiologist, although I love the one I have now, but sure do recommend him to anyone who is reading this post and considering him as the Dr.. You will not be disappointed. Huge gain for Grand Rapids."
Services We Offer:
You’ve heard that acupuncture can help with pain, or that botanical medicine can be incredibly useful for adrenal fatigue, but you don’t know where to start. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
Our team has over 50 years combined experience in holistic, alternative, and naturopathic approaches to care. When looking for someone to join your health-care team, you want to be sure that they will spend time with you, treat you with respect, and take your unique needs into consideration. Rest assured that our priority is to offer the best integrative care in West Michigan and we look forward to being a part of your healing journey.
Here is a list of some of the services you have access to as a client of Integrative Wellness of Grand Rapids, Michigan:
- Naturopathic Care
- Acupuncture & Cupping
- General Wellness Consults
- Nutritional & Lifestyle Coaching
- Homeopathic Consultation
- Supplement Education
- Functional Lab Testing
- Botanical Education
Be sure to call the office to learn more, as we are always growing and expanding our integrative treatments in Grand Rapids!
If you’re looking for more than a poke and a jab and have heard that acupuncture can “work miracles,” you’re in the right place. When it comes to acupuncture it’s less about using needles, and more about how, and why the needles are used. You don’t want just anyone sticking you with a needle, and we are proud to announce that we have one of the most skilled acupuncturists in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area, right here at Integrative Wellness of Grand Rapids, in Grand Rapids Michigan!
What is acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a healing technique that is over 3000 years old. It originated in China and is practiced on almost every continent due to its efficacy. Acupuncture is all about balance – Qi or vital energy runs in our bodies in channels to nourish organs and tissues. When Qi is depleted, in excess or blocked it can cause pain, dysfunction and illness.
Each treatment involves the insertion of hair-thin, sterile needles into specific points on the channels to affect the flow of qi and restore balance.
What is acupuncture good for?
Acupuncture has been studied and proven to be effective.
Part of how it works is by stimulating the nervous system to release chemicals in the muscles, spinal cord, and brain. These chemicals either change the experience of pain, or they will trigger the release of other chemicals and hormones which influence the body’s own internal regulating system.
Research shows that acupuncture improves blood flow (circulation), reduces inflammation, stimulates the release of endorphins (natural pain relievers) and boosts serotonin which helps to elevate mood. The improved energy and biochemical balance produced by acupuncture results in stimulating the body’s natural healing abilities, and in promoting physical and emotional well-being.
Acupuncture is proven to be effective for:
- Anxiety, depression, PTSD, stress
- Nausea, vomiting, morning sickness, diarrhea, constipation, IBS
- Headaches, migraines, stroke rehabilitation
- Cold/flu, sinus infections, asthma, allergies
- Menstrual irregularities, infertility, menopause
- Chronic pain from injuries, arthritis, fibromyalgia
- Heart palpitations, high blood pressure, angina
- Weight loss support
- Pregnancy related concerns: morning sickness, breech birth presentation & induction of labor.
- Drug, alcohol or tobacco cessation
- Radiation and chemotherapy reactions
- Cosmetic purposes, including: minimizing wrinkles, lifting sagging skin, and evening out skin color and tone.
How many treatments will I need?
There’s no one-size-fits all answer when it comes to health – every person is unique and responds differently.
A general rule of thumb to keep in mind: Most people need about 6 appointments for acute conditions and 10-12 appointments for chronic conditions.
Acupuncture treatments are more gradual and have a cumulative effect. Your acupuncturist will help you to identify the right number of sessions to yield you the best results. A few variables that will be considered when building your acupuncture program includes:
- The condition being treated
- How long you’ve been afflicted
- How well you stick to the treatment plan.
Our acupuncture patients have often reported improvement in overall health, better digestion, more restful sleep, and reduced stress levels within 1-3 treatments.
For facial rejuvenation acupuncture, 10 treatments once weekly or biweekly are recommended to see optimal results. After that, you may require maintenance sessions every four to eight weeks or once per season.
Does it hurt?
No! Acupuncture does not usually cause pain or discomfort. The experience is individual to each person and many find acupuncture to be very relaxing and comfortable. You may feel a small pinch or nothing at all. Once the needles have been inserted, you are likely to feel a mild, dull ache or a slight tingling sensation. These are signs that the treatment is working and the acupuncture point is being activated. After all the needles are inserted, most patients feel relaxed and often fall asleep.
What should I expect at the initial visit?
First there is a consultation where we will discuss your health concerns and a head-to-toe holistic overview of physical symptoms and emotions. Next will be a brief examination of your tongue, pulse taking on both wrists and assessment of relevant areas of concerns. Then you will lie on the table; it is recommended that you wear (or bring) loose fitting clothing for your comfort and make it easy to access the acupuncture points. Make sure to be hydrated and eat a light meal; which will reduce any lightheadedness, dizziness or fainting after the session.
Acupuncture Investment Rates:
- Initial Acupuncture Session (90 minutes): $200
- Acupuncture/Naturopathic Medicine Combined Initial Session (2.5 hours): $475
- Follow Up Session (60 minutes): $90
- Package of 5: $400
- Extended Follow Up Session (90 minutes): $150
- Bodywork (Cupping/Gua sha) (30 minutes): $50
- Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture (90 minutes): $175
- Package of 5: $800
Ready to get started with acupuncture? Everyone starts with a complimentary phone consultation, click the button below to schedule now!
We are proud to offer Naturopathic Consultation at Integrative Wellness of Grand Rapids, in Grand Rapids, Michigan! Our Naturopathic doctors are unique from traditional naturopaths in several ways:
- Our naturopathic doctors are directly supervised by a MD.
- Our naturopathic doctors have all attended federally accredited medical schools. Traditional naturopaths have not graduated from federally accredited medical schools.
- Our naturopathic doctors are all required to complete annual accredited continuing education. Traditional naturopaths do not have continuing education requirements.
- Our naturopathic doctors have studied and taken national board exam certifications in topics ranging from pharmacology, human anatomy, biochemistry, the basic sciences, and more. There is no federal licensing board for traditional naturopaths.
- Our naturopathic doctors have completed supervised graduate clinical training in a medical setting. Traditional naturopaths are not required to have any clinical training experience.
What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic medicine is a holistic system of medicine which supports the natural healing ability of the body. It is a combination of the wisdom of nature and the rigors of modern science and medicine. Naturopathic doctors (NDs) are trained to diagnose, treat, and manage patients with acute and chronic conditions, while addressing disease and dysfunction at the level of body, mind and spirit. NDs focus on whole patient wellness through health promotion and disease prevention while identifying and addressing the underlying causes of each individual person’s condition. Our NDs will personalize your care and provide you with a wellness plan that is tailored to you and your lifestyle. Naturopathic doctors will help educate and empower you to actively participate in managing your own health.
Naturopathic doctors are trained as primary care providers and specialize in natural healing modalities such as nutrition and lifestyle counseling, vitamins, minerals and botanical supplements, homeopathy, clinical and functional lab testing, pharmacology, drug-nutrient interactions and more. In Michigan, there is not licensure for Naturopathic Doctors and so your doctor will be Dr. Dave Johnson who works collaboratively with the naturopathic doctors on our team.
The Six Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
First, Do No Harm – Naturopathic medicine is gentle and effective. NDs choose the least invasive and least toxic treatment options necessary for each patient.
The Healing Power of Nature – Naturopathic doctors understand and support the inherent healing power of the body.
Identify and Treat the Cause – Symptoms are the way our bodies tell us that something is wrong. Naturopathic doctors strive to determine and treat the cause of illness, not just treat the symptoms.
Treat the Whole Person – NDs recognize that the body is an integrated whole and treat the patient, not their disease. Naturopathic Doctors will assess many aspects of health including nutritional status, lifestyle, family medical history, genetics, environmental and social factors of each person’s life.
Doctor as Teacher – A Naturopathic doctor’s major role is to educate and encourage the patient to take responsibility for his or her own health. NDs are catalysts for healthful change, empowering and motivating the patient to assume responsibility.
Prevention – “Prevention is the best cure”. Naturopathic medicine promotes overall health, wellness and prevention of disease.
The Therapeutic Order
Naturopathic Consultation Investment
- Adult New Client Visit (2 hours): $400
- Pediatric New Client Visit (1.5 hours- 12 years and younger): $300
- Follow up visit (1 hour): $200
- Follow up visit (45 minutes): $150
- Follow up visit (30 minutes): $100
- ND/Acupuncture Combo (150 mins) – $475 (this visit includes a combination of an Initial naturopathic consultation appointment plus a brief initial acupuncture appointment.)
Ready to get started with Naturopathic care? Everyone starts with a complimentary phone consultation, click the button below to schedule now!
General Wellness Consults and Lifestyle and Nutrition Counseling
Not sure where to start or what type of visit you need? Don’t worry, we’ve got your back. Simply get started with your 15 minute complimentary phone consultation and we’ll help point you in the right direction!
All of our clinicians are skilled in overall general health and wellness, as well as lifestyle and nutritional counseling. These services are included in our initial and follow-up appointments with our MD and NDs.
Ready to get started and schedule your general wellness visit? Everyone starts with a complimentary phone consultation, click the button below to schedule now!
Supplement Education Visit
Have you heard about supplements but don’t know where to start or what to take. See one of our Naturopathic Doctors who expertly trained in choosing quality, physician grade supplements that can be effective when taken appropriately. Supplements are a large part of Naturopathic medical education and each ND is trained to assess supplements for quality ingredients, efficacy and effectiveness, safety, biochemical individuality and drug-supplement interactions.
** Do note, this visit will not include analyzing labs, reviewing your history, or any other examinations, this visit is strictly intended to get you started with education about supplements. If you do a supplement education visit and would love to work more with your clinician, you will need to Establish Care as a New Client by scheduling and completing a new client visit.
Ready to get started with supplement education care? Everyone starts with a complimentary 15 minute phone consultation, to be sure this appointment is a good fit for you. Click the button below to schedule now!
Supplement Education Visit Investment
- Supplement Education (45 minutes): $150
Botanical Education Visit
Botanical or herbal medicine involves the science and practice of using medicinal plants, ingredients and extracts to improve health, support wellness and treat disease. NDs combine evidenced-based research with centuries of empirical experience to provide safe and effective options that support the body’s innate healing ability. Naturopathic doctors will individualize dosing and formulations to safely and effectively address many health conditions.
** Do note, this visit will not include analyzing labs, reviewing your history, or any other examinations, this visit is strictly intended to get you started with education about botanicals. If you do a botanical education visit and would love to work more with your clinician, you will need to Establish Care as a New Client by scheduling and completing a new client visit.
Botanical Education Visit Investment
- Botanical Education (45 minutes): $150
Ready to get started with your botanical education visit? Everyone starts with a complimentary 15 minute phone consultation, to be sure this is the right visit for you. Click the button below to schedule now!
Homeopathic Education Visit
There are two of the world’s most rigorously trained classical homeopathic clinicians right here in the heart of Grand Rapids, Michigan. This is good news for you, because when prescribed by a classically trained, and experienced homeopathic expert, homeopathy is EFFECTIVE, INEXPENSIVE, and SAFE.
What is Homeopathy?
Homeopathic medicine is a safe form of medicine that you can find at your local health food store and at many online retailers. Homeopathic remedies are made from substances that are found in nature, like plants, minerals, or animal substrates.
Will homeopathic medicines interfere with my other prescriptions?
Homeopathy is generally considered very safe to take with other medications as it does not interact with medications. Of course before starting ANY new protocol including changes in your diet, supplements or other medications talk with your doctor.
Is homeopathy safe for pregnant women?
Homeopathy is generally considered safe in pregnancy because homeopathic remedies do not contain “crude” substances. In fact, homeopathy has been used for centuries to support symptoms from pregnancy and to ease labor.
Is homeopathy safe for babies and children?
Homeopathic medicine is considered safe for children and babies and can work quickly and without side effects. Always talk with your pediatrician before starting a new diet, remedy, supplement or medication with your baby or child.
What can I expect when taking a homeopathic remedy?
Most clients show improvements within 7 days of starting a new remedy, though some feel results within hours.
One of the features of homeopathy is that it has to be prescribed exactly correctly in order for it to work. Imagine homeopathy is like getting a bullseye, if you shoot and aim for the bullseye but miss it by an inch, you don’t win the prize and the remedy does not work. If this is the case for you, and nothing happens when you take your remedy, keep an eye on new symptoms or any changes so that the next best remedy may be prescribed.
What kinds of things can homeopathy effectively treat?
- Acute illness, like colds, flu’s, sore throat, prevention and treatment
- ADHD & ADD
- Alcoholism, other Addictions and Withdrawal Symptoms
- Anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Panic Disorder
- Asthma, Allergies, or other Respiratory Illness
- Autism and Developmental Disorders
- Autoimmune Disease, arthritis, lupus, etc.
- Bipolar disorder, depressive disorder, mania
- Blood pressure, hypertension
- Childhood Behavioral Disorders
- Depression, seasonal affective disorder, major depressive disorder
- Eating Disorders, anorexia, bulimia
- Eczema, Psoriasis
- Food Allergies
- Gastrointestinal issues like heartburn/ GERD, nausea, vomiting, Crohn’s Disease, Ulcerative Colitis
- Headaches, Migraines
- Hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, autoimmune thyroid
- Pain, Muscle pain, Joint Pain, Back Pain, and Arthritis
- PMS, Menopausal Symptoms, or Hormone Imbalances
- Prostate Conditions
- Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective Disorder, Disorders of Paranoia
- Seizures and Neurological Disorders
- Smoking cessation
- Urinary Tract Disorders and Pelvic Pain
Homeopathy Visit Types and Investment
- Homeopathic Intake Visit (90 Minutes): $300
Homeopathic Intake Visits are done with Kelly Peterson, ND or Nicole Cain, ND and are offered to current patients only.
Are you new to our practice and interested in homeopathy? Everyone starts with a complimentary 15 phone consultation, click the button below to schedule now
Integrative Functional Laboratory Testing
Our Integrative and Naturopathic doctors are clinically trained experts in functional laboratory testing. Functional lab testing is different from testing that your conventional doctor might order. Functional testing is used to get an understanding of what is going on inside your body and to evaluate how well your body is working.
Commonly order testing includes:
- Blood or urine tests – to assess and screen for specific conditions like cardiovascular disease, thyroid disease, diabetes and metabolic conditions, and autoimmune disease. It is also used to identify nutrient deficiencies, food and environmental sensitivities, chronic infections, and detoxification capacity.
- Comprehensive Stool Analysis – to assess gut health and identify the root cause of GI complaints such as bloating, abdominal pain, indigestion, and stool changes such as diarrhea or constipation. This test will assess several areas of digestive health including digestion, nutrient absorption, inflammation, gut microbiome, and infection.
- Hormone Testing – to assess adrenal, thyroid, reproductive hormones via blood, urine or saliva.
- Genetic testing – to identify changes in genes and chromosomes, often used to assess methylation or detoxification status.
- Toxicity screening – to identify the root cause of your symptoms, may include solvents, metals, mold, and infectious disease.
** Do note, this visit will not include reviewing your history, or any other examinations, this visit is strictly intended to get you started with functional lab analysis. If you do a functional lab visit and would love to work more with your clinician, you will need to Establish Care as a New Client by scheduling and completing a new client visit.
Functional Laboratory Investment Packages
- $150 for a 30 minute review per lab ordered plus the cost of the test.
- Appointment includes specialized laboratory testing and doctor analysis.
Ready to get started with functional lab testing? Everyone starts with a complimentary phone consultation, click the button below to schedule now!